Saturday, January 4, 2014

On This Date in Minnesota History: January 4

January 4, 1916 – “Glen Lake Sanatorium, a tuberculosis treatment center serving Hennepin County in Minnesota, opened on [this date], with a capacity of 50 patients. In 1909, the Minnesota State Legislature had passed a bill authorizing the appointment of county sanatorium boards and appropriating money for the construction of county sanatoriums. Glen Lake Sanatorium was the fifth of fourteen county sanatoria that opened in Minnesota between 1912 and 1918. The sanatorium had its own post office, and the mailing address was Glen Lake Sanatorium, Oak Terrace, Minnesota, until the surrounding area was incorporated into the City of Minnetonka.”

Photo taken by Pamela J. Erickson. Released into the public domain Jan. 4, 2014,
as long as acknowledgement included.

No comments:

Post a Comment