Sunday, April 8, 2018

On This Date in Minnesota History: April 8

April 8, 1909 - A six-week-old baby boy, crying loudly, was discovered in the women’s room of a St. Paul department store this afternoon by the matron. The infant had been there for some time, but it was supposed that the mother was nearby. Finally it was determined that the infant had been deserted and in the folds of its well-made dress was found a letter that explained the cause. The baby was turned over to Patrolman Charles Baer, who, though a bachelor, carried the child gently in his arms and planted a kiss on his forehead.

*

The letter found on the boy read: “Dear friends—Here is a poor little baby I am not able to take care of, and I am sorry to say so. I can’t help it: I am sick all the time. My husband left me and I can’t support my dear little boy. God bless it and take care of myself. I don’t know where I am going to get my supper tonight. I had to beg this bottle of milk for my little baby. Goodbye to you and I thank you if you will place my baby somewhere to be cared for. Goodbye.”

The Minneapolis Tribune; “Starving Woman Deserts Baby. Leaves Pathetic Note With Child Found in Store.”; April 1909; p. 10.

*http://www.bounty.com/baby-0-to-12-months/newborn/the-first-weeks/6-week-old-baby
               __________________________________________________________

If you are interested in finding out more about your family history in Minnesota, I specialize in researching  genealogical and historical records in Minn. and western Wis., including:
census records,  birth records,  death certificates, obits, grave site photos, ship passenger lists, marriage records and declarations of intent/naturalization records.  I will visit locations to research local history and county records, as well as take photos. Quick turnaround on MNHS records. Both short searches and family history reports available.

                                                         


Discover your roots, and watch the branches of your family tree begin to grow.


Website:  TheMemoryQuilt.com > click on Family History

Contact me at:
pjefamilyresearch@gmail.com







No comments:

Post a Comment