Saturday, August 25, 2012

On This Date in Minnesota History: August 25

August 25, 1975 – The Forum cafeteria was closed on this date by its operators, Forum Restaurants, Inc., Kansas City, Mo. “In its heyday in the 1950s the Forum was feeding 8,000 customers daily compared with about 1,500 daily in recent months.” Once a theater, the interior was “said to be the best living example of Art Deco in Minnesota.”
Minneapolis Tribune; “Forum Cafeteria is closed”; August 29, 1975; p. 10B.

See photos at: http://www.startribune.com/blogs/92149074.html



When my sister and I were younger (much, much younger), my grandparents would drive us to downtown Minneapolis from northern Minn. every Christmas to look at the Dayton’s and Donaldson’s holiday windows. We always ate breakfast at the Forum, and I would get their fried corn meal mush (yum); I have never been able to find it on any other restaurant menu. The Forum brings back so many wonderful memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment