Dedicated on Jan. 1, 1896, Winsted’s first city hall was located in the center of town with a view of beautiful Winsted Lake.
“The hall accommodated the following:
• The Winsted fire department was located on the main floor at the north end of the building.
• The facility’s upper floor assembly room was booked solid, hosting a never-ending procession of lectures, dances, banquets, and “entertainments” sponsored by such local groups as the Literary Society and the Twilight Club, even old time medicine man shows.
• A stage was constructed on the upper floor for theatrical productions in 1898.
• The lower level was equipped with prefabricated jail cells in 1905.
• When silent movies came to town, the upper floor assembly room was transformed into Winsted’s first motion picture theater. “
Winsted City Hall on 1913 Postcard
Original Winsted City Hall 2013
Photos taken by Pamela J. Erickson. Released into the public domain August 19, 2014,
as long as acknowledgement included.