Friday, December 18, 2015

On This Date in Minnesota History: December 18

December 18, 1915 – John Harrison, a tall man dressed in laborer’s clothes, walked into the Bemidji police station this morning and confessed to robbing a livery stable at Glenwood, Minn., a year ago last Fourth of July of $30. He said he wanted to give himself up, and was ready to pay the penalty.

He was immediately arrested and the police authorities at Glenwood were notified. Glenwood authorities said they would send a man after Harrington immediately.

“I was working at the livery barn when I took the money,” Harrington admitted. “I had been drinking during the day and went to the till and took all there was in it, about $26 or $30, I believe. This was July 4, 1914. I lay it all to booze as I never stole before.

“I left immediately and went to work in North Dakota. I came to Bemidji several days ago from Margie where I have been working.


“Everywhere I would go, people would look at me as if I owed them something. I could not stand it anymore. Yesterday two men in Bemidji came up to me and said, ‘hello, Mr., they called me by some name. I told them that they were mistaken, but all day long I kept worrying about it. So I decided to give myself up to the police. I am ready to be punished.

“I haven’t any home. It is over 14 years ago since I left the east and came to this section of the country. Have been in different places ever since. I have had a fair education and am 33 years old. It is just drink that made me steal.”

It is expected that Glenwood authorities will be in the city Monday, Dec. 20, to take Harrington back to that city.

The Bemidji Daily Pioneer; “Man Confesses to Robbing Till Two Years Ago. John Harrington, Conscience-stricken, Gives Self Up to Local Police. Too $30 From Livery Barn at Glenwood, Minn. Says Drink is Cause of Downfall; Has No Home; Is Well Educated.”; Dec. 18, 1915; p. 1.




http://www.pctribune.com/images/gw1big.jpg

               __________________________________________________________

If you are interested in finding out more about your family history in Minnesota, I specialize in researching  genealogical and historical records in Minn. and western Wis., including:
census records,  birth records,  death certificates, obits, grave site photos, ship passenger lists, marriage records and declarations of intent/naturalization records.  I will visit locations to research local history and county records, as well as take photos. Quick turnaround on MHS records.  Both short searches and family history reports.

Website: 
TheMemoryQuilt.com ®  click on Family History

Contact me at:
pjefamilyresearch@gmail.com 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment